It’s not exactly a newsflash when I say that I’m easily side tracked. It’s the dark side of being interested in a lot of stuff. When something new comes along, it’s always more interesting than the same old thing. One of my guidelines that I am following i s to complete a project before going on to another one. That doesn’t mean that I can’t have more than one thing happening because even I can’t crochet non-stop. In this instance I’m talking about the home redecorating project. While I have made great strides in the dining room, building a farmhouse style table, repainting the china cabinet and framing some art, I’m only about 70% done. One of the things about having a plan, it’s okay to deviate from it, a long as there is a good reason.
A couple of months back, I bought a king size head board and foot board. I was concerned that it would be a tad wide since we have our bed turned sideways. Husband is over six feet tall and we wanted an extra long bed. When we couldn’t find one, we hit upon buying a regular king size bed and rotating it 90 degrees. I looked online to see what standard bed measurements are but all the beds we saw here were 72 inches long no matter the width. Ni modos, we now have a bed 72 wide x 78 long.
Back to the headboard, for a variety of reasons, I put off picking it up. I paid for it but wanted to wait until I was ready to deal with it. However, I had an opportunity to have it brought to my house earlier and I took advantage of it. the headboard is 60 inches wide, a queen size, the bedrails are 80 inches long and the footboard is also queen size. Obviously this is an imported bed.
How did that happen? My friends bought the house fully furnished, the previous owners only used the headboard, the footboard and rails were stored under the bed.
Yesterday, I painted the headboard. I had this idea to paint it white with a red undercoat and gold accents. My can of rojo oxido had been left open, fortunately, no paint was spilled because it had congealed to rock solid mass.
Not being one to let a little thing like lack of paint set me back, I opted to undercoat it with the same pinkish red that I used on the china cabinet. The whole thing dried in a what felt like minutes. I had to stand on a stepstool to paint the top of the piece.
Apparently, it didn’t all dry as quickly as I thought because my brush pick up pink in the deeper recesses of the curves when I applied the next coat of paint, I decided that I like the faint pink and left it.
However, the sun set while I was painting. There isn’t very much light outside so I considered packing things up until the next day. However, a few raindrops splashing on me made me change that decision. As I raced the weather, I got inspired and added a touch of turquoise to the carved portions, over the gold that I had dry brushed.
Then I waxed the whole thing. The gold wasn’t looking much like gilding so I added some gold acrylic paint to a bit of the wax and waxed all the carvings again.