I started on my month of Vegetarian Cooking on Monday.My plan is to have good healthy vegetarian food that I can combine with a minimum of effort. I am concentrating on Indian food because it’s some of my favorite foods. Most of the ingredients are available here and since it’s a hot climate the food is suitable for eating here.
- Monday, I made dal, red chutney and pineapple chutney.
- Tuesday, I made Saag Panir and another chutney, this one of ripe tomatoes.
- Wednesday, I made naan, a pilau with nuts and fruits and a green mango chutney.
Wednesday, we were joined for lunch by la muchacha (she loved the pineapple chutney) and our friend who I will call da Wiz. Da Wiz was over to help us with our car woes. So I reheated the dal and added more spinach to the saag panir, I put all the chutneys on the table too. Lunch was a sucess.
- Thursday, I added water to the dal to make a soup and also made a riata of tomatoes,onions, cucumbers dressed with yogurt and mint.
- Today, I prepared mixed vegetable curry, a dish of spicy garbanzo beans (which I didn’t really like much), and chapatis. There was also chutney on the table. I made another riata this time I added some of the thai basil and purslane growing in my garden.
So far this is going pretty well, I am hoping to have a variety of chutneys and pickles when I am done so I can add variety to meal of just dal and rice.