Dumping all my fabric in a crate was the worst fabric storage solution for me, stacking fabric on shelves was not much better, and leaving it in piles all around the house definitely put a strain on my marriage. So what’s a girl to do? I turned to pinterest, made a new board titled “Craft room/studio redo” and started looking at pins.
All those photos of material lovingly stacked on shelves by color and fabric type made me feel better about my stash. It’s nice to see that I won’t be winning the “largest fabric stash” award after all. The sun is strong here, so leaving fabric out exposed to the light really isn’t an option for me.
I needed a way to see what I had, and to retrieve it without making a mess. I know that when I am in the thralls of a new idea, I don’t want to stop to tidy up any messes along the way. Messes breed. Stuff gets lonely, it seeks out unsuitable company, gets drunk with it’s new friends and turns into a disheveled mess. It’s just a fact of my life.
In the mezzanine above my studio, I uncovered a case of 6 banker’s boxes, file boxes, or archive boxes. In other words, collapsible boxes which can be used to store files. In Husband’s supply cabinet, I found a box of hanging file legal size folders. I would have preferred letter size, but these were what we had, plus Husband didn’t have a problem with me using them. One of my goals is to use what I have.
I covered the boxes with fabric using white glue diluted with water to decoupage them. I was really happy with the results.
When the white glue ran out, carpenter’s glue seemed like a good choice. We had a big bottle on it on hand and there isn’t that much difference between wood and cardboard is there? Carpenter’s glue worked, as an adhesive, not so well aesthetically. It dries yellow, sigh. Fortunately, it showed it’s true colors very quickly. I didn’t want to leave and go shopping, so I whipped up some homemade wallpaper paste. Never having made wheat paste before, I used a recipe that called for white flour, corn starch, sugar and cream of tartar It made a large batch, probably enough to wallpaper several of our rooms (even with the 18 foot ceilings). We’ll have to wait and see how well it stores.
The fabric storage system that I finally settled utilized the hanging file folders as a template. I’m sure a more methodical person would have a system for folding the material according to width and length, I just did it haphazardly. I can only change so much, so fast. I take it as a victory that I am putting it all away.