I need a new dressmaker’s dummy. My duct tape double isn’t my twin anymore which is causing me problems. Chicafeliz is in town, I am hoping to rope her into helping me make a new dtd because it isn’t a one person job. This is my dtd wearing the blue dress that I made earlier this month. She looks like she was rode hard and put away wet, doesn’t she? Her stuffing is out of whack because I put a corset on her when I made my Dickens’ Fair costume, when I removed it her shape had changed. Originally she had a hook at the end of her neck so I could hang her, due to the weight of the dress the hook came out, that accounts for her odd neck.
With the change in the time, my schedule has been totally off. Yesterday, I took a nap and then went to bed at 8 pm, consequently I woke up at 3am. I woke up thinking about my dress, or rather the fit of my dress. When I finally gave up and got out of bed at 5 am, I tried on what I have done so far. It doesn’t fit right!
That isn’t as bad as it sounds since I have been thinking of redoing the bodice portion anyway. Here is the original bodice basted to one layer of the skirt.
The plum fabric is just pinned in. I coffee dyed the lace and some different bias strips to get an antique feel. I also did some machine embroidery on the bodice portion. I didn’t like this so much so I bought some lace to overlay on it.
I decided that the sequins were too much so I contemplated a small shoulder cape or fichu out of the mauve chiffon to tone it down some.
I don’t like it, the cotton lace doesn’t go with the sequins, the sequins are too dressy for late afternoon.The cotton lace just doesn’t do it for me, it makes the dress too busy and introduces too many new colours. Finally, when I tried it on I found that it doesn’t fit well. I am remaking the top without the sequins, the satin inlay or the cotton lace. If you look over the dtd’s shoulder you will see some bead fringe hanging on the wall. It’s left over from another project (I was beading fringe for lampshades), it is the perfect colour so I am going to trim the neckline with it. I am also going to make a deeper neck so that I can wear a plum gauze shift that I have underneath. I’m going to keep the lace overlay because I like the way it matches the hat, but I am not embellishing it this time.
The mauve chiffon is going to become a simple stole or wide scarf instead of a fichu.
I have been machine embroidering the skirt with the purple to pull the colours together.
I am feeling better about this already.