When I was asked at Saturday’s IWC meeting “What have you been up to?” my automatic answer was “Not much.” Then I thought to add, “I’m crocheting a baby blanket, oh and I am taking a sofa apart.” I have no idea why that totally slipped my mind.
It all started when I was cleaning our microfiber recliner loveseat, again. Microfiber wears like iron but in this climate it gets so dirty. I am a bit embarrassed to show you what it looked like!
The worse part is that you can see where I habitually sat. All that black is from me. I guess even little delicate flowers like I imagine myself to be,sweat in the Yucatan. Forget the about the saying, horses sweat, men perspire, woman glow, here everyone sweats,especially on microfiber.
As I started to scrub, the idea of making a throw cover came to me. I discarded that idea, but decided to slip cover it instead.
I bought 5 meters of fabric, it was a wonderful coral and only $29 mxn a meter. After draping it on it’s proposed recipient, I couldn’t picture that much bright coral in one place. I used it to reupholster my office chair instead, I still have plenty to use for other things.
Admittedly,this is one comfy couch. I love being able to use the foot rests. Unfortunately I feel like a five year old when I sit on it or rather sink into it. I am totally engulfed by all the cushions. It doesn’t fit my style or idea of what I want our den to look like. When we bought it, I had this vision of a home theater type room. After pricing big screen TVs, and trying to figure out the layout, I abandoned the plan. I toyed with the idea of selling it, but that meant that I still would have to clean it. If you look carefully you can see the lighter areas where I started to clean.
The neck rest is attached to the back but there is this nifty zipper. BK suggested that I just remove stuffing until the neck pillow was more to my taste. I thought that was a brilliant plan.
We pushed and prodded, pulling up the cushions as much as possible to see where the other cushions could be opened.
This sofa is super stuffed. I removed the equivalent of three bags of fiberfill from it.
Have you ever seen those gross photos of people who used to weigh 400 pounds but used some drastic measure to reduce and were left with loose skin? Well, the recliner became the furniture version. Just like the human reductees, drastic measures seemed to be called for. Meanwhile, I had the couch moved out to the terraza.
The saddlebags on the arms didn’t look any better sans stuffing, so off they came! I was really getting into this. The back lumbar and neck support cushions came off. The seats had a muffin top look which I didn’t care for either. Good bye to them! I was on role, destroying is always easier and faster than rebuilding.
When I restyled the yellow loveseat, I saved the cushion covers. I decided to dye them and see how they looked. I wanted a burnt orange, but all I had on hand was pomegranate red and color remover. Red and yellow make orange, we all learned that in primary school. I had the color remover as back up if I didn’t like the results. Fortunately, I didn’t need to take a trip downtown to buy more dye.
To give you an idea of how much stuffing was in the saddlebags, each side piece stuffed one cushion and the headrest innards filled the other two.
On your left you can see the foot rests.
On your right I have already removed the “muffin top”.
It’s already looking slimmer.I headed to my fabric stash to see what I had available. So far I have about 75% of the project done. Stay tuned for part 2….