This recipe originally came from Madhur Jaffrey’s World of the East, Vegetarian Cooking, which I use a lot. I have done some minor changes. If you decide to buy your very own copy please us my Amazon link, I get a little money that way. Thanks!
1 inch cube of fresh ginger,peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
1 fresh hot green chili, sliced roughly (I use a whole jalapeno,seeded and deveined)
1/4 cup of water
500 grams of queso Panela cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/4 teaspoon salt divided into 1 teaspoon and a 1/4 teaspoon.
1/4 teaspoon garam masala (link to recipe if you can’t buy it already prepared)
1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 packages of chopped spinach thawed
1/4 cup media crema
- Heat the oil in a large wide sauté pan over a medium flame. Put the cheese cubes in the oil and brown them on all sides.
- Remove the panela with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Sprinkle with the garam masala,salt and cayenne pepper.
- Put the ginger,garlic and chile into the container of a blender or food processor along with the water. I use my little mini one cup attachement for this. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Keeping your face turned away, add the paste to the hot oil and fry it, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.
- Add the thawed spinach, 1 teaspoon of salt and stir until the paste and spinach are well mixed.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the panela and cream stirring gently. Bring to a simmer, cover and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes.