Rather than a normal blog post here are a few short thoughts on my life here.
- Yesterday afternoon I was miserable because my feet were cold and I couldn’t put on socks. The absurdity of this struck me. The reason I couldn’t put on socks was that Socco had come to my house and given me a manicure and pedicure and I didn’t want to smear my polish. Such a difficult life! Right now the peso has fallen to $15.18 to the dollar so I spent only $7.90 plus tip. Actually it cost me more because we’d drawn the money out at a lower rate. The pesos that I have in my purse are worth less than when I exchanged them.
- Our gas line leaks. Over time we’ve been smelling gas in our kitchen, but Husband had checked and there was no leak. Yesterday the smell became very strong. Husband explained to me that when you make up fittings you sometimes lubricate them so that they will join better. One of the exceptions to this practice is gas line, which is made to a more exacting standard. Apparently, our plumber/electrician (don’t even get me started on the 6 weeks to become a plumber and an electrician training course!) also used teflon tape which over time dissolved. So the gas is temporarily turned off. No hot water, no stove.
- I bought a smoked turkey leg at the supermarket. I am able to cook it in my crockpot because the butcher cut the leg to fit on the little Styrofoam tray. All of them were like that. A little knob of bone about three inches long. I don’t understand the logic in that.
- I have 9 followers now. I wish that google had come up with a differnent name for the service, it makes me alternatively feel like if I get four more I can start a new religion or one of those people with a sandwich board that says “Follow me to Theresa’s blog for a good read”. I like the second one best, I don’t feel particularly evangelical or charismatic.
- Husband and I were discussing airfare to California with Wild Bill. He mentioned that right now airfare to Madrid is cheaper than airfare to San Francisco. I checked it out. It’s $337 to Madrid and $480 to San Francisco. I told Husband that it has always been my dream to go to Spain. Guess what? We are going to Spain. I may have to put off my California trip, but I am stunned. * we aren’t going after all. See the next post for the details of why…
I have to tell you my life is good.